THE COMMISSION PROCESS
HI FRIEND! I'M SO GLAD THAT YOU'RE INTERESTED IN THE COMMISSION PROCESS
I work with clients to create meaningful commission paintings that are heirlooms for generations. The process is exciting and enjoyable for both the artist and the collector. The end result is a work of art that combines your original vision for the piece with my unique style and execution. If you are interested in commissioning a painting, please read all information below
Frequently Asked Questions
I’m interested in commissioning a painting. Where to start? Any advice?
If you are new to buying or collecting original art, you are not alone! It can be intimidating, especially if you’re not sure exactly what you want, like, or dislike. If you are reading this right now, hopefully, that means you have seen my work and know you want something similar to my style and aesthetic.
I am happy to offer a free consultation, over the email, to discuss making your idea come to life. I recommend that you be prepared to answer these questions:
1) Describe your idea.
2) What is the occasion of commissioning this painting?
3) How big would you like the piece to be? (Please note, Joy Kinna has a minimum size requirement of 16 x 20 inches)
4) What is your budget?
6) When do you need it finished?
How to commission?
1. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with answers to the questions above.
2. Be prepared to send me the photos at the highest resolution possible. Here are my requirements when working from client photos:
- The most important aspect of the picture is to have very clear features in the faces. I would like to see the entire face, eye color, hair-style, etc.
- Avoid flash or high contrast sunlight/dark shadows/filters
- There should be minimal or no distortion
- Multiple photo references are always encouraged so that I can get a general idea of the subject's mannerisms, expressions, posture, and likeness in various lighting situations.
NOTE: I only work from photos I believe will make a great painting.
3. After discussing your idea I will send you a digital sketch of your future painting.
4. After approving the sketch you can pay online on my website using your credit/debit card or PayPal. My commission terms call for 50% prepay, and 50% upon completion prior to delivery.
5. Online Proof! Once your order is ready, I will send you an email inviting you to view it online. You will be able to approve it or send me your comments if you require edits.
How long does it take to finish a painting?
Commissioned portraits generally take 1- 2 months to complete depending on the complexity.
Do you paint other subjects?
Yes. I can turn your idea into a painting, whether it involves a person, a pet, a landscape, a still life, or a concept – as long as it fits my style and abilities.
Please see the chart below for my list of prices. I based my portrait pricing on size. Fees are for the artwork only and do not include shipping and framing.
Please, contact me before making a payment
11" X 14"
16" X 20"
Price: from $900
Price: from $1500
Large Commission Painting
(can take 1-2 months to complete)
Price: from $2400